Maple Smoked Spatchcock Cornish Hens
- Four (4) Tyson All Natural Premium Cornish Hens (~ 1½ pounds each)
- Spatchcock the Cornish Hens by removing the backbone and then flattening the breast plate
- Carefully pull back the skin from the breast and legs/thighs
- Wrap seasoned Cornish Hens with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours
*Note* – According to USDA you’re not supposed to wash your poultry. Rinsing raw poultry doesn’t kill off any bacteria but instead spreads it all over your sink, hands, and kitchen. Rinsing raw chicken before cooking can increase your risk of food poisoning from campylobacter bacteria.
- Configure your wood pellet smoker-grill for indirect cooking
- Preheat to 225ºF using CookinPellets Sweet Maple wood pellets
- Smoke the spatchcocked Cornish Hens at 225ºF for 1 or more hour
- Increase the pit cooking temperature to 375ºF in order to finish the cook
- The higher cooking temperature will crisp the skin of the Cornish Hens
- Roast the Cornish Hens until they reach an internal temperature of 180ºF
- Note : 180ºF internal temperature is recommended by Tyson Foods
- Rest the smoked Cornish Hens for 10 minutes loosely under a foil tent before serving
For planning purposes only: Total cooking time was about 2½ hours – but remember to always cook to internal temperatures!