Smoked Dry Rubbed Tri Tip Steak - Over the last few decades I've cooked and been part of cooking hundreds if not thousands of Tri Tips either at home, on the road with my RV, and as a member of the Ripon Quarterback Club serving Tri Tip sandwiches at the local high school home football games. The club still grills 200 to 400 lbs of Tri Tips a game depending on the expected size of the crowd. We grilled the Tri Tip according to classic Santa Maria methods. Either way, the results are simply delicious!
Oddly enough I have never known a Tri Tip Roast to be called a Tri Tip Steak! But who knows why Costco has chosen to calling it a steak instead of a roast. No matter what Costco chooses to call these roasts I have smoked/cooked them in a multitude of ways but no method is easier than just a straight smoking recipe. When picking my Tri Tips I never buy anything below choice grade. That's why I always purchase the majority of my meat Costco. It's hard to beat their quality and price.
While checking out the label I noticed that Costco is being quoting USDA guidelines for Tri Tip internal temperatures ... They recommend grilling the product to a minimum internal temperature of 160ºF ... yes, you read correctly - 160ºF! What a waste of good meat that would be. Most people cook their Tri Tips to a temp of 130º - 145ºF. I prefer 145ºF which is perfect for our family as the photo below shows.
When it comes to smoking a Tri Tip my smoked Dry Rubbed Tri Tip Steak recipe is as simple as it comes.
- Start by using Choice Tri Tip Steaks (Roasts) - about 2.5 lbs each
- If you don't purchase peeled Tri Tips then trim the fat cap off and any silver skin
- Rub the Tri Tips with roasted garlic extra virgin olive oil (glue for dry rub)
- Season the Tri Tips moderately with my Pete's Western Rub (page 169 of my cookbook, The Wood Pellet Smoker and Grill Cookbook)
- Wrap the seasoned Tri Tips in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours
- Preheat your wood pellet smoker grill to 235ºF using cookinpellets.com Premium Perfect Mix wood pellets
- Smoke the Tri Tips at 235ºF for approximately 2 1/4 hours till the internal temperature reaches 145ºF
- Rest the Tri Tips loosely under a foil tent for 15 minutes before slicing against the grains
- Be aware that Tri Tips have multiple grain directions
Like I said ... "Easy Peasy"