Joe Morrow, a longtime family friend and retired firefighter from California introduced us to his Fireman Burgers well over 30 years ago. Joe and his beautiful wife, Joy are now living in Arkansas, and while we don't see them much; the firehouse tradition of his burgers has remained a timeless, family favorite! Simple to make, these burgers are spicy and delicious!
- 3 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or more.... or lots more)
- 1 can diced Hatch Chilies.
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more...)
- 1 tbsp seasoning mix (your favorite blend; ours is Fagundes Famous Seasoning Mix)
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
For the sandwich:
- Sourdough bread
- Pepper Jack cheese slices (2 per burger)
- Colby Jack cheese slices (2 per burger)
- 1 whole chili
- Sliced onion (pre-grill if preferred)
Now, depending on the size of your appetite, family, or party; adjust these ingredients accordingly.
Form your burgers in an oblong patty; about the size of the sourdough bread. Grill/smoke the burgers to your preference.
On a flat pan or griddle, lay a slice of buttered sourdough, then two slices of pepper jack cheese. Place a cooked burger on top, then 1 whole chili, then two slices of cheddar jack cheese; finally, place the other slice sourdough (buttered) on top. Grill the entire sandwich to perfection!
Serve the Fireman Burgers with your favorite side dishes!