The beauty of using a Slow Cooker is that you can spend a few minutes in the mornings putting a few items together only to enjoy a succulent one-pot meal 8 hours later for dinner. Not to mention that succulent aroma that permeates your house through out the day wetting your taste buds.
While looking for a slow cooker chicken thigh recipe on the internet I kept seeing the same chicken thighs with carrots and potatoes recipe. Since I had some fresh Foster Farms Chicken Thighs in the fridge I chose to add a few personal touches to it. Here are the results and may I say - it met all my expectations and best of all it was extremely simple.
4 fresh chicken thighs, bone-in, skinned
1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
6 medium red potatoes, quartered
1 medium red pepper, diced
1 large yellow squash, diced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup baby carrots
2 celery stalks, diced - 2 inch pieces
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
½ teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons Jan's Original Dry Rub
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Remove chicken thigh skin and trim excess fat
- In a 6-quart slow cooker layer the bottom of the pot with the sliced onions, quartered red potatoes, baby carrots, and celery
- Layer the diced red pepper, frozen peas, and diced squash over the first layer of vegetables
- Mix the crushed garlic and thyme with the chicken broth
- Pour the seasoned chicken broth over the vegetables
- Arrange the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables
I recommend using an Instant Pot Bluetooth enable multi functional cooker for all your pressure and slow cooker needs. Set your cooker to 'Slow Cooker' and make sure the pressure release valve is set for 'Venting'. Use the default setting of 'Normal' and slow cook the chicken thighs with vegetables for 8 hours. You'll love the fall off the bone tender chicken, vegetables, and broth.